The Government of Ontario recognised the tremendous importance of trucking and its role in the fight against COVID-19. The Province once again showed its support and appreciation of our sector by deeming trucking and its key suppliers as essential services.
“The Ontario Trucking Association applauds Premier Ford and his cabinet team for recognizing the importance of the trucking industry and its many job classes, but also the essential service nature of our many hardworking suppliers that keep the trucks moving safely along Ontario’s highways as well as the truck stops that allow our drivers to rest and get a warm meal in a not only safe and clean environment,” said OTA President Stephen Laskowski.
Below is a Province of Ontario essential services list, along with their description, related to the transportation sector:
- Businesses that supply other essential businesses or essential services with the support, supplies, systems or services, including processing, packaging, distribution, delivery and maintenance necessary to operate;
- Taxis and other private transportation providers providing transportation services necessary for activities of daily living;
- Businesses and facilities that provide transportation services to businesses and individuals including by air, water, road, and rail including providing logistical support, distribution services, warehousing and storage, including truck stops and tow operators;
- Businesses that provide materials and services for the operation, maintenance and safety of transportation systems (road, transit, rail, air and marine) including delivery of maintenance services such as clearing snow, response to collisions, and completing needed repairs to the transportation systems.
- Motor vehicle, auto-supply, auto and motor-vehicle-repair, including bicycle repair, aircraft repair, heavy equipment repair, watercraft/marine craft repairs, car and truck dealerships and related facilities;
For a complete list go to: https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/3/list-of-essential-workplaces.html