This past weekend, Transport Canada (TC) posted proposed amendments to Part 8, Reporting Requirements, of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations (TDG Regulations) in Part 1 of the Canada Gazette.
TC has provided a 30 day comment period after which they will review comments from industry. CTA will be submitting comments to the proposals in early July based on feedback from member carriers. No timeline has been established for when TC will finalize the proposals in the TDG regulations.
Highlights from the proposed amendments include the following (a full copy of proposal can be found here.
- New definition of Release;
- Amendments to reporting requirements to introduce circumstances under which a report is required;
- Exceptions where the reporting obligation does not apply;
- The reporting of the loss or theft of dangerous goods ;
- The reporting of unlawful interference with dangerous goods; and,
- New reporting criteria for mis-declared or undeclared dangerous goods to harmonize with International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) reporting requirements.